Muscle Shoals Municipal Court
The Muscle Shoals Municipal Court has jurisdiction over misdemeanors, traffic offenses, City Code violations as well as parking tickets that occur within the city limits or police jurisdiction of the City of Muscle Shoals. Court proceedings are usually held every Thursday at 2:00 p.m., unless the office is closed for a scheduled holiday.
When a person is arrested or summoned to court, a person may plead guilty or have a trial. All municipal court cases are tried without a jury. In some cases, a person may plead guilty before a Magistrate (or by mail/phone) without having to attend court.
Information regarding citations that can be paid in advance may be obtained by calling the Municipal Court office at 256-386-9210. Our offices are located in City Hall at 2010 E. Avalon Avenue, Muscle Shoals, AL. Parking tickets may be paid in advance in the amount shown on the parking ticket; however, misdemeanor cases, certain traffic citations (DUI and driver’s license related), and city code violations require a court appearance. **Muscle Shoals Municipal Court cannot give legal advice.**
FINES, COURT COSTS, AND JAIL SENTENCING
Fines and court costs are set if the person charged enters a guilty plea or is found guilty after trial. Jail sentences are imposed at the discretion of the municipal judge, unless the law requires a mandatory jail sentence. Fines and court costs as well as jail sentences are set in accordance with the laws of the State of Alabama and the code of the City of Muscle Shoals.
FORMS OF PAYMENT
Payments for fines, court costs, and restitution can be made in person, over the phone, or by mail. Our office accepts the following forms of payments:
- Credit Cards – Accepted in person or over the phone for non-court required citations and payment plans - **There is a convenience fee associated with credit card payments.**
- NO PERSONAL CHECKS ARE ACCEPTED
- NO PAYMENTS ACCEPTED AFTER 4:00 P.M.
Cashier’s checks and money orders are the only accepted payments via mail. The cashier’s check or money order should be made out to “Muscle Shoals Municipal Court” or “City of Muscle Shoals” and addressed to P. O. Box 2624., Muscle Shoals, AL 35662. Payments must be received at least 24 hours in advance of your court date as we will not honor postmarked dates. Late payments are not accepted.
COURT ADMINISTRATION – JUDICIAL
Municipal Court Judge – Honorable Judge Bill Marthaler**
Court Clerk/Magistrate – Jennifer Thorp
Magistrate – Candace Treece
City Prosecutor – Mitch Hays**
**The municipal court judge and prosecutor are part time and are only available during normal court proceedings
HOURS OF OPERATION/CONTACT INFORMATION
- Muscle Shoals Municipal Court business hours:
- Monday-Friday from 7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. *Holidays excluded
- Physical Address: 2010 Avalon Ave, Muscle Shoals, AL 35661
- Post Office Box: P. O. Box 2624, Muscle Shoals, AL 35662
PROGRAMS OR CLASSES
Muscle Shoals Municipal Court offers the following classes or programs:
- Court Referral Program – Court referral is responsible for drug and alcohol assessments and classes along with ankle monitoring and many other services. Our Court Referral Officer/Case Manager is Bill Gist 256-381-3630.
- Defensive Driving School Course – Persons who receive certain traffic citations that do not require a court appearance may be eligible for our defensive driving school course. Eligible persons must request this course in person to either a magistrate (before their initial court date) or during their court appearance. The defensive driving course is held at the Muscle Shoals Police Department (1000 Avalon Ave, Muscle Shoals, AL 35661) every 2 months. The cost for attending the course is $150 and must be paid in full at the time of the request in order to receive a certificate of completion. Our rescheduling policy consists of a $35.00 fee that is required upon your request to reschedule your class (48 hour notice is required). The instructor of your class will return your certificate of completion to the Muscle Shoals Municipal Court. Failure to complete this course will result in a warrant for your arrest, and your driver’s license will be suspended. **We are certified through the Alabama Safety Institute.**
- Deferred Prosecution or Pre-Trial Diversion Program – Eligible persons may inquire about these programs during their court appearance.
- Harmony or Peace Program – Safeplace is responsible for domestic violence intervention programs and assessments along with anger management classes and many other services. If you have been referred to Safeplace, you may contact their office at 256-767-3076 (Harmony ext. 111, Peace ext. 107).
COMPLAINT FILING PROCEDURES
Individuals that wish to file a criminal complaint (charge) against another person should come to the Municipal Court Office during regular business hours or obtain an appointment with the Magistrate by phone.
PLEASE NOTE: The information contained herein is subject to change as laws or ordinances change.